Thursday, November 6, 2008

Silence is boring



My life has been so quiet for the past few months. I didn't even realize.

But rehearsal has started, and with it my One Job. Communication. In my opinion, the main job of a stage manager is to make sure that all of a particular show's information floating about gets transmitted to the correct sources. If the director casually mentions that she would prefer the leading lady's dress to be green, it's my job to make sure the costume designer knows about it. If the set designer tells me that a doorway is too small for a table to fit through, I must make sure the directors and actors know about it. And on and on and on. I also convey message from our administration, from the actor's professional union, from the marketing department, from all of the technicians and designers, from the actor's families... you get the idea.

I firmly believe that if the different facets of a theatrical production aren't on the same page, it's the stage manager's fault.

That being said, communication is happening at full swing after a long period of (relative) silence. It's nice to stretch those muscles again, to get crackin'. I really love stage managing, as cheesy as that sounds. Every time I think about how stressful my job is, I have to remember how much I love it, how much it just fits who I am.

I hope everyone's listening, 'cause I'm ready to communicate.

No comments: