Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hand of Fate

I attended my first Fringe show Tuesday night-- New Paradise Laboratories' production of fatebook.

It was a final dress rehearsal, which I adore. I love seeing a slightly raw product, the actor's nerves informing the story, the overall new-ness of a piece that gives that jittery, alive feeling to a performance. And I must say, this was one of the most polished final dress rehearsals I've seen in a very long time. Plus, you know, it was free.

fatebook is an interactive piece that takes place in real time and in cyberspace, and the audience is encouraged to explore each character's journey as they spend a night dealing with many different things before they all come together for a party.

It was really great. I had a blast immersing myself in this world, and I don't want to say too much more about it except-- go see it! I went with Melanie and Amanda, and although we stuck together at first, we soon split up and experienced three very different shows. A great piece of theater!

No comments: