Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Year of the Tiger

I know I'm a little behind the ball with this post, but things in my life are very hectic (and very stressful, I might add) lately, so you'll have to forgive the delay.

BUT! A week or so ago, I celebrated my very first Chinese New Year's, in Philadelphia's own Chinatown.

We rang in the Year of the Tiger with our most ferocious tiger faces (l-r: AJ, Mel, me, Arizona the tiger):

There were so many dragons out and about!

Deb's tiger face: Meow!

I cuddle up with my favorite Arizona Tiger, just back from her trip to Hong Kong:

Firecrackers were lit, and as the gentleman in the picture so nicely demonstrates, they were LOUD!

Soon the whole street was filled with dragons and people beating drums and cymbals, chasing away the evil spirits. A dragon even bit Melanie, which I think is going to bring her good luck this year.

So many dragons! The dragon dancing was beautiful, and catching sight of the little baby dragons was so darn cute.

Dragons dancing around a firecracker strand:
Arizona gave us all the traditional red envelopes that held a piece of Chinese money. I'm keeping mine close, hoping for a fresh start in the Year of the Tiger.

No comments: