Wednesday, August 15, 2007

High school High


A terrifying, miserable experience.



That's how I would describe my high school years. Of course it wasn't all bad. I made some great friends, who are great friends to me today. And I learned so much about life, other people and-- not to be too much of a cliché-- but I learned a lot about myself too. High school opened up the world of theater to me and helped me be comfortable (sort of) with who I am. High school knocked me on my ass and broke my adolescent heart. High school showed me that adults could be both incredibly wise and incredible fallible. High school was a small world that in leaving that world, allowed me to realize how big the "real world" actually is. What a relief.



So I'm going back.



To my 10 year high school reunion, that is..... and I'm excited. And scared.
Caitlin text messaged me the other day, saying "What are you wearing? Hey don't laugh, but I am stressing over what to wear". I couldn't laugh at her. I was stressing over the same thing. The key, I think, is to look super-hot, fashionable yet accessible, without looking like you tried to look super-hot or fashionable. "Oh, this old thing? No, this is what I wear every day in my fabulous, successful life in Philadelphia."


So I am looking forward to seeing Jessica and Caitlin and Eric and all of the other friends who I lost touch with. I'm looking forward to talking with the handsome, popular quarterback who came out of the closet after we left high school. I'm looking forward to seeing people who made fun of me for being different looking exactly the same. I can't wait to meet husbands and wives and babies. I want to see how life has treated Homer High School's Class of '97.


Because while I like to think of myself as a totally different person than the over-serious drama nerd terrified of her own sexuality and longing desperately for acceptance, really, I'm the same old Sara. Only happy, grown-up and accepting of herself. Most of the time.


It's funny what a little perspective can do for a girl.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I started my own blog...put it on your favorite list

Robyn said...

I love reading your blog, and I cannot wait to hear how the ol' Homer High reunion goes. Leah and I are looking forward to our reunion next year – she even sent me your reunion’s itinerary to get me revved up!

Deb sounds wonderful, and I’m glad you're moving in together. Crazy that she has the same birthday as Amanda!

mandamck said...

I had so much fun last night.
I also posted in my fashion blog thought you might like to know...

Anonymous said...

I am very proud that I was name dropped in your blog--and I will be posting photos from last weekend soon...be on the lookout!

Caitlin