Saturday, August 11, 2007

So this is why they call it "Vacationland"

The scenery in Maine was so breathtaking, it deserves a blog of it's own. Here's a scenic journey through our trip...

My first glimpse of the ocean, from land's end.
My first Maine lighthouse...

These were rock formations called The Giant Steps. Because they were... um, big. And looked like steps. Deb and I spent a good deal of time here, looking for mermaids. And then we had an amazing lobster dinner at Cook's Corner.


The next day, we took a sailboat tour around Boothbay Harbor. The day couldn't have been prettier. During our sail, we saw seals playing in the water and even a dolphin in the bay! It was amazing.

I love this camera.


Another view from the sailboat-- two birds kissing!


There was a sailboat race in the harbor-- apparently it was the New York Sailing Club. Those boats were pretty amazing, and all followed by the catering yachts, serving up snacks to hungry sailors. Not that those people are rich or anything.


Our sailboat was named the Eastwind, caught here beautifully by Deb. I kept trying to convince her to put a knife in her teeth and climb up the crowe's nest, but she refused.



A pier on Boothbay Harbor, around sunset.


The sun beginning to set over the harbor. Check out the cool funnel cloud.


Sunset over Boothbay Harbor. It just kept getting prettier and prettier.


The next day we headed to Popham Beach for some sun and fun. It's been rated one of the top 10 prettiest beaches in America, and it's easy to see why. The water was a bit cold at first, but soon Deb and I were body surfing those waves as high tide came in. Being a lake girl myself, I was astonished at how much beach high tide actually ate. We had to move our stuff 5 or 6 times! I'd never swam in salt water before, and I found that I actually liked it a lot. I did keep an eye out for sharks, though, as I have watched Jaws one too many times.


A fellow beachcomer, captured by Deb.


A view of the beach from the end of the day, when most of the beach was gone after high tide came in.

Beach bonfire, anyone?
It was a truly magical experience... pictures of Deb and I up to no good in Maine coming soon!

No comments: