Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sara + Deb + Maine = Fun

Away we went to Maine.... we left Philly at 5am, and got to Maine around 3pm. It was like travelling to a different world.


Deb driving.... and counting how many Subarus we saw on the road to Maine.
I was the supreme mapquest navigator....

Our little cottage. We stayed in a motel for the first two nights until we were able to move to the cottages. Our cottage was so cozy and wonderful, I could have lived there.



Although we city-dwellers found keeping the front porch light on at night comforting, we realized that it also proved a little hard to get in the front door without being bombarded with moths. Deb demonstrates her moth-dodging technique.



Sometimes front doors are hard to lock. Fortunately Deb had the right tools for the job.


Why is Deb smiling, do you ask? Because she's eating at Fat Boy's, a drive-in burger joint that serves delicious burgers right to the comfort of your car. Oh, and their frappes are nothing to sneeze at either.

Deb is petting the fisherman's pet lobster. We're at Land's End, celebrating my first glimpse of the ocean on this trip.
Check it out! You can see inside the rich people's houses with this thing!


Deb does some spying of her own. Scenery, schmenery. It's all about looking in rich people's houses.

My pretty girlfriend and the ocean.

I decide that the sea air can make me fly.

This is what a happy Sara looks like.


This is what a happy Sara and Deb look like!

After taking in the salt air, it was time to eat some lobster. I'm so ready. Now let me just figure out this bib...


Our feast!!


Deb has that happy glazed eyes look that comes with anticipation of lobster.


Hmmm, these things are complicated....

This requires intense concentration....

AHHHH! I will defeat you, LOBSTER!!!!

Haha. I will now stick my finger up your tail end to extract your deliciousness!!


My lobster, stripped of all meat and thoroughly enjoyed.


Deb was getting all hard-core with her crustacean as well.


Deb seems upset that her lobster left a little something on her plate.


"Stop pooping on my plate, lobster!"

Check out this guy. And check out those butter finger prints on my pants.


The next day we went to Boothbay Harbor, and spontaneously decided to take a sailboat ride around the bay. It was amazing! We saw seals and dolphins playing in the bay, and really enjoyed our time on the water.

I tried to convince Deb to put a knife in her teeth and climb to the crowe's nest, but she refused. Aaaarrrr!

After the sailboat ride, we enjoyed a perfect slice of blueberry pie with blueberry ice cream. Amazing.


Something tells me we're not in Philly any more....

The next day we went to beautiful Popham Beach and made like mermaids in the surf. It was my first time swimming in the ocean! The ocean water was cold, but wonderful. We body-surfed and watched as high tide ate up the entire beach.

Beach bunny!


Oh, we could so get used to this....

Yes, we had to. It was romantically washed away by the surf seconds later.


Heading home, crossing the Maine/New Hampshire border.
We had a wonderful trip, and I think we plan to go back next year. Now I have to settle in at the new place and unpack and get things ready as we gear up for.... the next season at the Walnut, starting soon. But I'll be carrying a little piece of Maine with me all year long, looking forward to next summer.

No comments: