Saturday, November 24, 2007

Give Thanks

How was your Thanksgiving?


Mine started off great, thanks for asking. Deb and I got up very early on Thursday morning and drove the four hours to Homer, NY. We had a great breakfast, wonderful cheese and cracker platter (thank you, Deb) and one of the most amazing Thanksgiving dinners ever. And that's saying something. Along the way we got visits from Matt & Weas and Caitlin & Christine.


Pretty much the perfect day, right? Well, it would have been if, due to a horrific chest cold, a new atmosphere, a lot of stress and a lack of sleep, Deb's asthma hadn't started to act up. It had been bothering her all day, and periodically she would disappear to the back bedrooms to catch her breath.


Late that evening, after we said goodbye to Caitlin and Christine, it really got bad. Deb literally couldn't breathe. It was very scary. We decided that it was well past time to go to the hospital.


The staff at Cortland Memorial Hospital were extremely helpful and very speedy. They got Deb on a nebulizer right away and soon she was feeling much better. After chiding her for her one-cigarette-a-night habit, we were on our way.


We had planned to get up at 6am and be on the road by 7am, but since we didn't leave the hospital until just before 4am, that didn't happen. We got up at 8am and slowly got onto the road. Now the drive back to Philadelphia isn't a complicated one, but I still managed to miss two exits in my sleepless fugue.


Deb arrived just in time for Act I of Peter Pan to begin, and I was able to catch a small nap myself before my evening show.


So this Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for my wonderful family for providing delicious food and a warm atmosphere, the staff at Cortland Memorial for restoring my girlfriend's health, and my car for somehow knowing the way home by itself.


Now I'm just hoping Christmas is very, very uneventful. Because I'm still suffering from a little bit of a lack-of-sleep hangover.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell Deb I hope she is feeling better!!

Caitlin