Friday, April 10, 2009

Life on a Budget



I know, I know, everyone's doing it. But hearing about budget crisises and stock failings and company take-overs and government bailouts on the radio isn't the same as watching the good old bottom line of your checking account balance dip dangerously close to zero.

I've never been good with money, but the times are forcing me to be now. Along with this very stressful and expensive move, the dog is sick AGAIN and Deb and I are frantically trying to stay ahead of the curve. Or out of the red. Or away from any of those scary money metaphors.

It's been really tough, but I actually think this is very good for us. We're tightening our belts in a number of ways, and each little bit is helping. We've stopped going out so much, we've cancelled our cable (hello, Netflix!), we are very careful with our purchases at the grocery store and we talk about every expenditure together. We're walking or biking to work to save on gas and to get back into shape. Even my vegetarianism has helped our wallets-- groceries are much cheaper without meat!

Deb and I are learning to talk money, and to talk about it frequently. We are learning to appreciate the little things in life that are free (walks in the park, snuggling on the couch, an unexpected free gift from a cashier at the grocery store because I was nice to her...) and to know that this too, shall pass, and soon enough if we save and are careful, we will be able to incorporate the things we've given up back into our lives.

And we're working really hard to get rid of our debt and to start saving money. So all together, while things may be a little tough right now, we are learning very healthy financial habits that will hopefully stick with us through the good times and the bad.

Life on a budget is still life, after all...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since we're trying to buy a house, we're trying to save every penny we can.

I've always been the saver, and Chris has always been the spender, its very hard to get him to understand budgets, since he's always just "had the money" I'm trying to make him understand that just because you have it now doesn't always mean you'll have it later, and its better to plan for later. Don't get me wrong you can't give up living life. But since we're getting married, it isn't just HIS life anymore. Its OURS.

Its a tough lesson to learn for him.

I'd like to think I'm pretty good with budgets, and with saving money in unexpected ways, if you need help lemme know I'd be happy to.

I also highly highly highly suggest www.mint.com its a personal finance tracking site, It lets you track your budgets and expenses, follows your spending trends, and shows you where you money is going.

We love it, and we now have Ben Travis hooked on it as well.

If you need anything call! We'll be moving to Jersey in the nearish future, and Philly ain't so far away! We're here if you need us :-)