Thursday, September 6, 2007

One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singing

I can't believe it's already September. It seems that I spend the whole year wishing for warm weather, and then can't fully appreciate it when it's here.

Although the days continue to be muggy and somewhat oppressive, a definite change is coming. The sunlight is changing to that golden fall tone, a few trees are sporting colors around the edges and the nights are unexpectedly cool. Kids are already back in school. The city seems more focused, driven.

Although I still have more than a month before I return to work, it feels like my summer vacation is over. I have Things To Do.

Still, it was a lovely summer. And I hope it will be the end of my "transition phase". No more moving, no more changing jobs, no more sorting out my place in the world. I'm quite content with things as they are right now, and hope to keep them this way for at least a year or two. So hopefully I can relax into this season, into this apartment, into this relationship and into this life that I've been struggling to create ever since.... well.... ever. I've worked hard to get where I am and now I vow to enjoy it for a little while.

I will miss summer, though, and all that it entails. Hopefully in the dead of winter I will remember the simple joys of the season like...


Eating fresh fruit! Or....


Cheering on the Phillies! Swing batterbatter! Or...


Sharing summer meals with friends outside!



It's not over until the fat lady sings, though. Or in my case, it's not over until two men put on dresses and start talking with a Texas twang. So until then, I'll try to squeeze in as many outdoor margaritas, bike rides through the city, spontaneous trips to Franklin Fountain for ice cream as big as my head, drinking beers and cheering on Stephen the douchebag on the porch, reading good books sitting on a bench in Washington Square, hanging our laundry on the clothesline and drinking sun tea while reading all of our magazines that I can.



So goodbye, summer. I'll miss you, I know, but right now I'm very excited to take this peace you gave me and have a great year.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

I absolutely adore Franklin Fountain... the BEST place for ice cream and their homemade hot fudge is to die for.