Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sad Clown

Yesterday was the closing day of the Philadelphia Fringe Festival. And boy, am I exhausted.



I spent the last weekend working "run crew" for Brat Production's Fatboy. I put "run crew" in quotes, because apparently the meaning of that phrase changes when it comes to Fringe productions.


To me, run crew means that during the show I would move scenery and props, perhaps assist with costume changes and generally be on hand to make sure the show is going smoothly. A pretty sweet gig, actually. And more importantly, I'm not in charge. Ah, sweet relief at not being the boss. A change goes wrong? Not my problem. The lights don't work? I don't have to figure it out.


Really, though, in the Fringe, I think it's just an excuse to make me look like an idiot. Not only we were squeezed onto a ridiculously tiny stage with massive pieces of scenery, not only were the changes hard and hectic, not only did I receive minimal instruction as to what I was actually doing, but.... drumroll please.... I was in makeup. Yes, makeup. And not just makeup-- full "mime" face. The whole shebang: white pancake makeup, red dots of blush, red lips and a bowler hat.


I've done scene changes in a full Victorian maid's costume before. (Thank you, My Fair Lady!). I've made other people wear candy striper uniforms for scene changes before. (Sorry, Rachel!) But I have never, never had to wear makeup.



I'm not saying it didn't fit in with the theme of the show. All of the actors were in the same type of makeup, and all of our changes were done in full light. So I can definitely understand the logic.


It's just that..... I had to wear makeup for these changes. And that made me a very sad clown. Or just maybe a silly girl in clown makeup.


Now don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining. True, it was way too much work for way too little money. But the people at Brat Productions were super nice, my fellow scene changer was cool and the actors were friendly and super helpful. I had a good time all in all.


But maybe, just maybe, I'm a little too old for this. Certainly I don't want to disparage the production or anyone involved. However, after working my first Fringe Festival, I think it's safe to say that I enjoyed the experience and I will probably not do it again next year.


Now I just might have to pretend I'm stuck inside an invisible box to get the whole thing out of my system.

No comments: