Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fruits of My Labor

Goodness me, I can't believe my show closed a week ago. Unemployment is very weird. I hardly know what to do with myself, but I've managed to fill the week with a ton of catching up with old friends for drinks and getting the house in some semblance of order because hopefully we will have a new family member joining us shortly! The Greyhound Rescue folks called us at the beginning of the week and said that they've received our application and are now in the process of calling our references. Fingers crossed-- they've already cashed our deposit check, so hopefully that's a good sign!

My, my, how fast things grow in the garden when it's hot and humid! The plants are quite jungle-like these days, and while I was cursing the amount of water lugging I'm doing these days I couldn't help but notice....


Our tomatoes are starting to ripen! Each plant has about 10 pieces of fruit on it so far, and I'm starting to see some red!


Or lots of red, as the case may be-- this guy will be ready to pick in a day or two. Can't wait to taste my very own homegrown tomato!



Even my heirloom green tomatoes are ripening-- this guy will be ready in a few days as well!



See how big and bushy the tomato plants have grown? And if you'll notice at the lower right hand corner, we've decided to add a few "friends" to the garden. My garden was looking very respectable and nice, now I'm trying to make it more appealing to passing elves and other sorts of fairy creatures.


I'm even seeing a few streaks of red on my peppers-- and holy crap, they're big!



The wildflowers have really started growing like... well, weeds. I can't wait to see what blooms pop up!



Even the geraniums are starting a second round of blossoming, after being carefully deadheaded.



The bike trellis has gotten a few more pieces of decoration, and check out those crazy morning glories on the left!



My clematis continues to wind itself around the bike, and is proving to be a very hearty blossomer.



And we've finally added a Green Man to the garden. More on him soon....

4 comments:

Julie said...

Love your bike trellis!!! How cool!

Weas said...

Everything looks great! I am so jealous...we are a few weeks behind in the growing season here. Pictures soon...

Anonymous said...

I can't help but to admire how healthy your tomatoes are! I too have a deck and I plant all my flowers and vegetables in containers.

Carrie said...

YAY!!!!!!! I love it! We're gardening nerds! Hey - want to have a double date at our community garden? We could do drinks there some evening among the flowers.