Saturday, June 13, 2009

Arty Farty

I had hoped to be 100% moved in and unpacked at this point.

Although Deb and I lived together before this apartment, we had never moved together. I moved in to the 2 Street apartment after she'd already been there for a year, and tried my best to incorporate my stuff with hers.

But this time was different. All of our stuff came to this empty space together, and we've been trying ever since to combine and compromise and get everything unpacked and in some semblance of order. Since we plan to live in this place for a long time, we have decided to make it really nice, really homey, really... adult.

You see, Deb and I have moved on average once a year for the past 10 years or so. College, summer stock, theater... it's been a transitory decade, that's for sure. And in each new place, we've thrown stuff up on the walls willy-nilly, knowing it wouldn't be there for long.

Well, all that's changing now. We're turning over a new leaf, see? We're adults now. Deb and I have decided to really make our apartment into a home that is full of cool and interesting art.

Now of course we don't have a lot of money, so we're being all kinds of crafty. To that end, I've been scouring our great city for some affordable art, and I've found that there's lots of it around. I discovered Dumpster Divers on South Street, a gallery that features art made from found and recycled objects. I bought a great little abstract painting on a slab of re-purposed wood for only $5! And I've become an etsy fanatic, buying one-of-a-kind pieces at great prices.

So slowly our walls are becoming a little less bare, and we've come up with several themes for our different rooms. The living room is becoming a pop-art and clock room, the kitchen is going to have a 40's diner theme, and we're going to adorn our hallway with as many photos and theater-related memorabilia as we can cram in. I'm taking suggestions for our bedroom and spare room-- any thoughts? And if anyone has a lead on affordable art, either in Philly or on the interwebs, I'd love to hear it.

Just one more tiny step towards true adulthood...

No comments: