Sunday, June 21, 2009

Neda



I would like to take a moment to give my respects to all of those fighting for freedom and democracy in Iran, especially the peaceful protesters who are being viciously beaten and sometimes killed by the Basiji police.

I'm sure many of you have heard of Neda, the young woman who was peacefully watching the protests and was shot. She has become a symbol of the resistance-- an innocent life taken by this brutal and oppressive regime.

Technology has made this revolution so present, so in our faces. From the way that Twitter has helped Iranians to communicate to youtube users posting this video of Neda, right after she was shot, so that people could see what was really going on in Iran, despite the government's attempts to silence everyone.

A warning: this video is very graphic. But I felt I had to share it, to help spread the message to Iran that the world is watching.

**UPDATE: This video link no longer works, due to it's content violating youtube's terms of service**


I pray for peace and democracy for the people of Iran.

No comments: