Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Budget Crisis



I realized this morning that I think of myself as an adult. I wonder when that happened.

Perhaps it's the stability that this job gives me, or moving in with my girlfriend, or being in one city now for more than a year or so. Or maybe it's because Deb and I have been Talking About Big Things lately, like buying a house, getting married, getting a dog and having a kid. (Not necessarily in that order) All of these Big Things are probably going to happen in the next 5 years or so-- how's that for a scary thought?

But strangely enough, it's not scary at all to me. Perhaps that's why I'm suddenly comfortable thinking of myself as an adult. I'm actually looking forward to all of these Big Things.

And to that end, I did a very adult thing for the first time ever yesterday-- with Deb's help, I made a monthly budget. Money panics me-- I tend to ignore it or hold my breath that the check won't go through until my deposit does or spend a whole paycheck at H&M one week and use the whole of the next week's paycheck to pay rent. Or I'll go to the bar and forget to pay the electric bill.

This isn't working for me anymore. Deb devised a system for herself that has been working great, so yesterday we sat down and plugged my numbers into her formula. I only had a few minor panic attacks as all of the numbers got written down, but guess what? I have a lot more money that I thought. If I keep to my budget, not only do all of my bills get paid on time, but I get a little spending money each week to do with what I like AND I am putting away money in a savings account!

I couldn't be happier. This adult Sara is doing great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I have a smashing idea that fits well with budgeting. HAPPY HOUR! Pancakes on a stick. (Cheapness at it's best. I forgot to tell you that we went back to Tattooed M's on Sat. night and ordered pancakes on a stick. They were scrumptious. How have I lived 27 years without them?) Let's hang soon.