Saturday, March 29, 2008

Howl

Last night Deb and I returned home after a round of drinks with the lovely Amanda McKenna and were sitting in our living room when we heard someone outside kicking my bike. This has happened before-- drunken idiots and children especially like to mess with my bike. I've had to go out on the deck before and say "Hey. Stop touching my bike."

Last night, I thought, was no different. I stepped out on the deck to see 4 young men, obviously quite inebriated, kicking the wheels of my bike. I said firmly: "Hey. Stop touching my bike RIGHT NOW."

To which they replied "Fuck you, bitch". Deb stepped out onto the deck. "She said to stop touching her bike. Stop."

From then the evening passed in a blur, fastforwarded through the awfulness. Deb remained firm but fair. They called her a dyke and a nigger and told her that they were going to sodomize her. We called the cops. They told Deb to come down and fight them, or at least to get a man to fight them. They called us fucking dykes.

I remember watching a beer bottle slice through the air and explode on the wall next to our heads. Beer splashed all over us, thankfully glass did not. I started to cry and they made fun of me. One of them began to apologize for his friends, but when Deb said "If you're really sorry, make your friends stop" he got angry and joined in. One of them was particularly vocal with the racial slurs, calling Deb a nigger and "burnt" and a black dyke bitch.

And then they destroyed my bike. Totally bent and twisted and kicked the wheels-- they took out all of their aggression on this bike of mine. This bike that Deb bought me that I've had for 2 years and loved very, very much. It was horrifying. I came back outside to try and get Deb inside, saw the destroyed bike and...

I howled. No, I screamed. It was the most primal of impulses, I felt violated and lost and utterly terrified. The sound of my own rage scared me. I ran inside.

They told Deb that I should have screamed rape, because then maybe someone would have cared.

They left just before the cops came. Deb gave the cops their description and the direction they had left in, but we heard nothing for the rest of the night.

This morning the sun was out and the streets were full of Saturday bustle, but I will never look at my neighbors the same again. No one came outside. No one helped. And I know those boys are of this neighborhood. They have spoken, and we get the message loud and clear. Black and gay and woman are targets. We will take what we want from you. We will direct our anger at you.


"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by
madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn
looking for an angry fix..."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry. i love you guys so much and this makes my heart and soul hurt.

Anonymous said...

this is absolutely sickening. sometimes I guess we live in a sort of charmed world - I forget spending so much time in theater that the rest of the world is not always as open minded and accepting.

I can offer you this - there are people out there who step up & intercede. you met my guy greg - on st. patrick's day - he got out of his car when he saw three guys in a parking lot trap a girl up against another car. she ran away. and they took their frustration out on him - but man, there is a girl out there that didn't have to suffer that. and somehow, to me, knowing that he was that kind of person was incredibly comforting.

I love you - and I rage against those who hurt you. - Jess

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Sarah. We're here for you guys and I'd love to talk about some proactive things we can do. (Write to the papers, Mummer Assocs & such) I also talked to Debs about taking a self defense class, which is something I'd like to do anyway. We're here for you and remember for all the jerks in the world, there are also fantastic people who love you dearly.

Anonymous said...

sara - I do know how to spell your name!

Weas said...

People who have to resort to expressing their misguided opinions and abusive inklings towards two of the most caring, loving, giving people (and a completely innocent cool-ass bike) that I know and love need to be sent directly to the lowest depths of hell to burn and be poked with extremely sharp implements until completely destroyed. Extreme...I think not. I am thinking about you both constantly and wish that I could be there to howl, scream, and throw beer bottles right back with you.
am so sorry that you both had to go through this ordeal. I love you, miss you, and want you to feel safe again.

TL said...

This is ridiculous. It's hard to imagine that there are still people THAT unevolved.

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. Just try to remember that you're not to blame. You've done nothing wrong. These people are idiots.

Much love to you and the Deb.

Anonymous said...

Love you Sara. Holding you and Deb in the Light . . .

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you and Deb had to go through that. Try to keep your chin up as best you can. Sending you both positive thoughts and energy. Love, Sass

Fullandbye said...

Oh. My. God.

Oh Sara, I am so sorry for you and for Deb. That is all sorts of fucked up.

You might be able to get a bargain wheelset out of it though. I know that something similar happened in Seattle a few years ago and a bike shop stepped up and offered a handbuilt wheelset to the victim.

(If I were in philly, I would totally offer to build you up a sweet new wheelset).

Love love love.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl... I've been there. Believe it or not, people used to openly make fun of my parents with me in earshot. The best part was calling them out on it simply by saying, "Oh they're deaf, do you have a question for them?". (or refusing to shop at places that called them 'deaf and dumb') What I've learned is that people make fun and hate things they dont understand. If you have an open heart and mind, you can hope to change the outlook of at least one mind and maybe help someone else down the line. Sending you both lots of love.....

~gina

Unknown said...

Please please please move back to Mt. Airy.

Please.

Love

Anonymous said...

Holy shit, Sara, I can't believe this happened. How anyone could ever want to hurt two of the best women on the whole damn planet is beyond my comprehension. I am so sorry that your sense of safety and trust has been violated in this cruel way. Please know that I am praying for you and Deb.

- Jessica