Sunday, June 1, 2008

Peppermint Patty



I've found my new drug of choice.


Relax, relax, it's perfectly legal. It's peppermint, but I have been consuming such vast quantities of this herb in tea form that I'm really glad it's so good for me. Otherwise I might really have a problem.

My booth up here in Studio 3 is either stiflingly hot or unbearably cold, depending on the whim of the air conditioning/heating gods. So on the hottest summer days, when I throw on a skirt and am drenched with sweat the time I get to work, I find myself shivering just a few minutes later as the air conditioning vent seems to be aimed directly at my bare legs in the booth.

My solution used to be coffee, but it was doing bad things to my tummy and the caffeine so late in the day meant that I didn't feel like sleeping until 2am or so. I've switched to peppermint tea, and things are pretty wonderful in Sara Digestive Land. Plus the warm liquid keeps me from slipping into hypothermia and I can drink as much of it as I want. (I'm staying hydrated! And by hydrated I mean I'm squirming in my seat as the last musical number of the act happens, hoping that my bladder of steel doesn't fail me... why doesn't my booth have a built-in toilet??!!)

But I've seriously noticed so many amazing things about myself lately-- my skin is more clear, I'm more relaxed and my breath is sweeter. I'm not sure I can attribute all of this to peppermint tea, but this sure did happen just when I made the switch from coffee, so...

I recommend Yogi Tea's version, it's my favorite. Now I'm going to start reading that book on meditation I just bought and be that much closer to finding my bliss. Baby steps, people.

First tea, then... THE WORLD!

3 comments:

mandamck said...

Let me just say that walking past Essene every day is not good on my wallet because I constantly go in and buy new and exciting flavors of Yogi Tea to sip on whilst at work and the freezing Walnut. Today I got some Indian Chai, totally rad. I'm a huge fan of the Green Tea Kambucha as well and oh oh oh the Mexican Chili Spice is totally killer.
Okay I'm going to stop now because my obsession is quickly revealing itself. Also, peppermint is always awesome...and if you feel like mixing your new love with the old I highly recommend a shot of peppermint in an unsweetened Americano.

Anonymous said...

Actually during my sophomore year in college I had the same addiction to peppermint tea and I lost like 7 pounds because Mint Tea is a appetite suppresant. So not only is it good for your sanity, but it is good for your diet.

Anonymous said...

You should totally add some real mint to the tea! I was at the farmers markets up on Passyunk and South last week and I bought Chocolate Mint and Pineapple Mint plants! They're AMAZING!!! Next time you're around, we'll run to the garden and snip you some!