Sunday, January 4, 2009

My New Year's Resolution

Generally I don't make New Year's Resolutions-- they're much too hard to keep. And then you feel guilty for backsliding... it's just not worth it.

But this year I made one, and it's one that I think I can keep. My resolution: to do more things that make me happy. Pretty easy, right? Well, I definitely haven't been doing this. I'm always so worried about making everyone else in my life happy that I often neglect myself.

I'm not talking about sweeping life changes here (although that might be nice too...), just a few little things that brighten up my day. I need to be silly again, to find the absurd little things that put a smile on my face.

To that end, I've made my first purchase, a cookbook devoted entirely to casseroles:



It's amazing. I literally want to start at the beginning of this book and cook every damn casserole in it. Check out Emily Farris' awesome website here. Also, is it wrong to state publicly that although I've never met Emily, I have somewhat of a friend crush on her? She just seems so awesome. And she makes casseroles! I think we would get along famously.

I also bought the score to Handel's Messiah. Call me a nerd, but I really do miss singing classical work, and since my job doesn't allow me the time to join a choir, I'm going to start my own. In my apartment. It's going to include me as Lead Soprano and Hyde and Betty as disinterested listeners. I've sung the Messiah before, and I'm hoping that I remember most of it.

I hope my neighbors have some heavy duty ear plugs handy, 'cause I can't wait to hit those high notes.


And on a different note, today both A Tuna Christmas and Hairspray close. I'm going to miss both of these casts a ton, but frankly, I'm really looking forward to a little (very little) break before we go into tech for O Captain.

Pictures of New Year's Day craziness coming soon, I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know what will make you happier. more drinking. with me.

alison

Anonymous said...

silly pants I could have made you a copy of the Messiah...I think we have like five copies of it in the office.