Thursday, January 22, 2009

Spree


Today was an unexpectedly awesome day. Don't you just love it when that happens?

It's one thing to plan a fun day, but when one just springs on you, it's really delightful.

I began the morning with a pretty fierce hangover from the opening night celebrations of A Streetcar Named Desire, which debuted on our mainstage last night. Of course I didn't see the actual performance as I was working on my own show upstairs, but I sure did crash the afterparty. It was a smaller party than musical opening nights, and more intimate. I had a lot of fun and talked to a whole bunch of people that I haven't connected with in a long time. So the headache was worth it.

First on my agenda for the day was a therapy appointment, which although very necessary and helpful, aren't always the most fun. Today was different. We chatted about turning 30, and what that meant to me, and what my goals for this coming decade are. It was a lovely session, and I left the office feeling pretty great about my coming birthday.

I then finally connected with my mother on the phone-- we've been playing phone tag all week. It was great to catch up. Talking to my mom always makes me feel so much better, so much more grounded. She's the best. And I got a pre-birthday card from her in the mail today! (She's decided that since 30 is such a milestone, the celebration needs to begin a little earlier than normal. I couldn't agree with her more!)

After my chat with mom I treated myself to a cup of tea and a bagel at Joe's Coffee Bar, which I must recommend to everyone. Not only do they have that awesomely cozy coffee shop atmosphere that's slowly dying with the Starbucks-ing of America, but they are very socially conscious and environmentally aware. And all of the baristas are super-friendly.

My belly full, I decided to go dress shopping. I have two important occasions coming up-- my birthday and the Walnut's Bicentennial Gala.

I hit the jackpot: Old Navy is having a super half-off all clearance sale so I scored a cute shirt, a hoodie, a pair of jeans, a doggie sweater and a dog toy for $17!!!! Man, do I love bargain shopping. At Ross Dress For Less, I bought 4 dresses (including an AWESOMELY slutty dress that I am going to rock for my 30th birthday party) and 4 desperately needed bras. For $100. I think that's a pretty sweet deal.

After my shopping spree I hustled into work for the first production meeting of our third show this Studio season-- Honor and the River. Normally production meetings are pretty dry, but for some reason everyone was in a great mood today and we had a lot of fun dissecting the technical elements of the show. Of which there are many. There's a boat onstage. That's rigged to move up and down and "float" on the "water". It's going to be so cool!

And did I mention that our set designer, Robert Kramer, brought in Girl Scout cookies to the meeting? They went like hotcakes. I myself bought some Caramel delites (didn't they used to be called Samoas?) and some of those Peanut Butter Sandwiches. For, um, you know, Deb.

Tonight is our opening night for O Captain, My Captain. Another party, another excuse to wear a pretty dress and drink some bourbon.

And that's how my good day went! Hopefully there will be many more like it in the future-- it was a nice change from the daily grind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

days like that only seemed to happen in philly for me.
i miss them. they definitely are the best.
and, yay happy opening!!!