Saturday, April 5, 2008

Life Improvement #1: Shampoo-Free



I've given up shampoo for life.

Since things in my life have been so tumultuous lately, I've decided to take the bull by the proverbial horns and start working on improving myself, my body and my surroundings. And I'm trying hard to be more environmentally aware, to take care of not only myself, but the world that I live in.

My first step was to give up shampoo. I was inspired by a recent article in Bust magazine (to which I am a loyal subscriber and rabid reader) that commented on most commercial shampoos doing nothing but stripping the natural oils out of your hair, which you then have to replenish with a conditioner. More products, more profits for the shampoo company. Plus the chemicals in most shampoos are harmful to the environment, not to mention all the waste generated by non-recycled shampoo and conditioner bottles.

All of this seemed like a good reason to give it up for good.

Now before you start avoiding me, fearing a greasy, smelly haired Sara, don't worry-- I am still washing my hair. Just not with shampoo. I'm following Bust's recommendations and I have to tell you, seeing amazing results. My hair has more texture and much more body. It's only been a week and I am seeing an incredible change. I've always wanted full, wavy hair, but thought that I was just born with limp, straight hair. Well, I give up shampoo and voila! Full, wavy hair. That stays in place where I pin it. That doesn't have those annoying fly-aways. And I'm not spending hardly anything to get these results-- saving so much money on hair products that I might just be able to afford those pricey haircuts that I love so much!

Here's what I do: to wash it, I make a paste of baking soda and water. You want the paste to be watery--not too thick and not gritty, so be sure that the baking soda is blended very well. I apply this to my wet scalp in the shower and rub in. (Not too hard-- be careful of breakage!) Rinse your hair throughly in the hottest water you can stand to get rid of any leftover baking soda particles.

Then I rinse my hair with a mild acid solution-- I've been alternating between apple cider vinegar and beer. (Bust also recommends diluted lemon or lime juice, which I haven't gotten a chance to try for myself yet) Of course you want to dilute both of these with lots of water-- about 1/4 cup of cider or beer to 1 cup of water. This gives your hair lots of shine. Rinse thoroughlly with water so you don't smell like a distillery.

If your ends are a bit dry (and mine are!) rub a few drops of essential oils to the ends. This works especially if you have longer hair. I'm loving rose oil right now, but of course you can choose whichever scent you like best. Rinse this out as well.

And the last (and one of the most important) steps is to comb your hair with a natural bristle brush. This helps to distribute the oils from your scalp through the rest of your hair. They're a little pricey, but totally worth it for the results!

The first week or so you'll notice drastic changes in your hair, but roll with them! Your hair is adjusting to all of this. My roots are still a bit oily (combing them with the natural bristle brush helps) and my ends are dry (essential oil and, if your hair is really parched, I recommend Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Hair Treatment) but gradually I'm seeing positive changes and am very happy with the results.

I used to blow-dry my hair every day, but I've stopped because without conditioner and product, it was really drying my new hair out. But I don't miss it, because I'm getting my volume naturally instead of with hot air.

I can't say that I'll never ever use shampoo again (it's going to be interesting to see how different seasons/temperatures affect my hair) but I am so blissed out with the results now that I must recommend it to everyone.

And I have to give Bust all of the credit for this advice-- I lifted most of this blog from their most recent April/May Issue, which also happens to be the annual Men We Love issue, for those of you straight gals out there. (Eye candy!!!) Pick up a copy, or better yet, subscribe today. You won't be sorry, it's my most favorite, women positive, fashion forward magazine out there.

So the next time you see me walking down the street, flipping my full wavy hair, you'll know my litte secret-- I've given up shampoo!

4 comments:

The Cozy Herbivore said...

Oh, hell yeah, I'm a total Tom's of Maine deodorant gal. No nasty aluminum for me!!!

Anonymous said...

Sara,
Welcome to the "no poo" club. I stopped shampooing about 5 years ago. All you really need is conditioner because the ingredients are enough for cleansing purposes. I "shampoo" with environmentally friendly sulfate free cleanser about once every 2 weeks. Keep it up, your hair will thank you.~Amy BW

Anonymous said...

The last line of your blog made me giggle..it sounded like a secret deoderant add.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I want to try. I've been using Burts Shampoo, but I'd love to try going crazy natural! (Dude - the Avodcado burts rocks my world. In the middle of winter, when my hair is like hay from the cold weather, I put that stuff on and leave it on for a full 24 hours. It's amazing!) So are you still rocking the baking soda? How is your scalp reacting?