Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Self Contained



I started my container garden on Monday! I'm so excited. I planted peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers, with the intention of adding green beans, carrots and maybe some lettuce or spinach. I also started an herb box-- lavendar, thyme, rosemary. I need some cilantro and mint.

I also finished my bike sculpture... and by finish it, I mean I took out my toolbox and banged ths shit out of my bike some more, twined Christmas tree lights around it and locked it to the deck upside down and twisted. Rad. Funnily enough, my bike was surprisingly resilent. Those assholes fucked it up more by kicking it around a post than I did with a hammer and needle-nosed pliers. Ah, beer muscles.

I planned to buy ivy to grow around my bike trellis, but a fellow customer at Lowes suggested a flowering vine that I can't remember the name of right now. She really sold me with the line "You can practically see it growing!" and sure enough, when I checked on them today, they had already started climbing the bike. Awesome.

And last but not least, Deb and I FINALLY went out for our anniversary-- only a month and a half late! We went to Lolita's, the restaurant we went to for our first Valentine's Day. Despite the fact that it was packed with obnoxious prepsters drunk on their BYOT margaritas, we had the most amazing meal ever. I got the lamb, Deb the carne asada. Incredible. We shared a pitcher of margaritas and talked about marriage and kids and buying a house. Perfect.

We're dreaming big, folks.

Pictures of the garden soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dream big baby! It's the only way to go!

What kind of vine is it? I need a fast growing one too! I have a clematis, but it's kinda stagnant.

I can't wait to see your garden. (that sounds dirty!)

PS - We want to have you guys and AJ & Melanie over for a dinner night. (We're thinking about doing a Greeky-type dinner. Falafel, humus, cucumbers, etc. Oh - and Hookah. How could I forget that?) Any free nights coming up?

mandamck said...

I'm looking forward to the beautiful things on your porch. I can't wait to spend my first warm night on the deck with the gals...now if it would just warm up again!