Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Parley



I'm not really sure what's going on with our city lately, but I just don't think I can take it any more.

Yesterday I was almost hit by two cars. The first was during the day-- I was crossing the street on a clear green and a lady, not paying attention, actually tapped me.

The second incident happened after work, as Deb and I were walking home. Again we were crossing the street on a clear green, and a gentleman was inching towards us, talking on his cell phone and clearly not paying attention to the pedestrians in his path. When we shouted "hey, hey! The light is green! Watch it!" he proceeded to roll down his window and say:

"Fuck you, bitches. I will shoot both of your asses right now. I will fucking kill you. Fuck you." before speeding off.

Really? Really? You almost hit two women because you aren't paying attention at a red light, and then you threaten to kill them?

So I guess I'm asking for a little more kindness from the citizens of Philadelphia. We all need to see the humanity in everyone, we need to respect and honor the people around us a little more, even if they are strangers.

I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around people being cruel or hurtful to others for no good reason. Maybe this makes me naive, maybe I should just expect this from my fellow citizens. But it seems like lately, at least in my life, things have come to a really ugly head. And naive or not, I truly don't understand it.

So I guess I'm calling for a truce.

No comments: