Sunday, May 18, 2008

Woke Up This Morning

To this walking down my street:



It's the Mummer's Spring Strut! For those of you unfamiliar, information about the Mummers here.



I really love how manly these guys manage to be, while still wearing feathers and dresses.



It's a family affair! And it's nice that they're letting women participate. Hopefully people of color will be able to join in the fun some day.



I can't figure out whether these costumes are supposed to have an Egyptian, Roman or Native American theme... but does it matter, really?


So as tough as 2 Street can be sometimes, I must say I enjoy the crazy things I see here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I googled the costumes yesterday and google couldnt tell me either

Weas said...

I guess the answer is yes to all of the above: Who and what are Mummers?
To define them simply, Mummers are costumed entertainers welcoming in the New Year. Some of the earliest mummers date back to early Egypt, pagan Rome and Greece, England, Germany, and France. Historically, Mummery has influenced customs and perpetuated many interesting traditions. Every nation had its festivals at one time or another, each marked by parades and displays of fanciful costumes. All of these cultures passed along their traditions from generation to generation, and eventually these traditions were brought to America by immigrants.