Friday, May 2, 2008

The Lusty Month of May

I finally finished planting my container garden today... and by finished, of course I mean I'm finished for now. Apparently I can't go into Lowes or Home Depot or even Whole Foods without buying at least $30 worth of plant related material.

But I thought I'd post some pics of my proud acheivements thus far... and keep you updated as to how they survive the summer on our deck.



Don't these tomato leaves look healthy? Mmmmm, tomatoes. I'm experimenting with my soil mixtures-- one is mostly compost and the other organic potting soil. But I've crushed up eggshells and mixed them into both soils because I heard on NPR's You Bet Your Garden the calcium was good for the tomaters.



Cucumbers! These little guys are growing quite rapidly. The leaves are so cute!



My herbs... I've got rosemary, lavendar and thyme in the top one & peppermint and two different types of basil in the bottom.




Romaine lettuce & spinach in the long planter and red bell peppers on the end. I think I may have planted my lettuce a little close together. We'll see.



A view of my containers...




More containers...




And my bike trellis/planter. Still a work in progress, but I've got clematis growing at the base, some geraniums hanging and a bird feeder hanging too. I've planted some really old morning glory and wildflower seeds in those weird tan planters, so we'll see what comes up.




There's that pretty clematis flower!




Bike trellis!!!!




My neighbor's cherry blossoms... I love spring time!



And I love my container garden! Here's me snuggling up to my lettuce.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snorgle that lettuce!!! I cant wait to see your garden in person!
~Gina

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! You kick ass! You have more veggies planted than I do!! Rock out. PS - What about next, next Monday for a Hookah/Dinner?

Eat. Eat. Eat. Enjoy! said...

Such a lovely garden - I'm jealous of your balcony! I'll have to live vicariously through your photos. And the future photos you will post of your first homegrown salad (hint hint).

*Rachel