Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fall Back

My visit home was so peaceful, homey and fun. I completely overdosed on all things Fall-- it's been such a long time since I actually enjoyed this season! It didn't hurt that the weather was unseasonably warm and absolutely GORGEOUS.

I took so many pictures, gorging myself on the colors of the scenery and the wonderful times spent with the family.

Roadside pumpkin stand:


Mom and me by the pumpkin house:


We stopped by to visit Joseph at school and he allowed Mom to snap this shot of us: (it was a tough sell on her part, let me tell you)


The next day we went to the Lafayette Apple Festival. We'd heard that it was going to be super crowded, so we went right as it opened up, just in time for breakfast:

Let's see, what do I choose for breakfast? Apple turnovers, apple dumplings, apple pie, apple doughnuts...


I know! Apple pancakes with sausage!


No Central New York festival would be complete without chainsaw wood carving:


There were many interesting signs at the Apple Festival. I couldn't resist snapping a few. Here's my favorite:


What's that? It's lunch time? Let's go stand in the apple fritter line!


For those of you unfortunate souls who have never experienced an apple fritter, let me explain the general recipe to you: take your apple slices, bread 'em, fry 'em and then... voila!

Sprinkle some sugar on top, and deliciousness ensues. I ate my weight in these puppies.

So many choices.


More delicious treats to tempt me...


And there was a bagpiper... bestill my beating heart!


We met up with the extended family there-- here's the newest addition to the clan, Harper Patterson. She wasn't too thrilled about the pumpkin, but she was okay as long as she had a sure grip on the water bottle.


Chillin' with Johnny Appleseed.


The festival got a little crowded as the morning wore on, so Mom, Dad and I decided to leave and continue on our fall theme by going apple picking! We first went to Beak and Skiff, but it was so crowded that we purchased a caramel apple and searched for greener, quieter pastures.


We found a smaller, family-run orchard and got to pickin'. Here Mom holds her sack as Dad forages in the apple trees:


Me and my Dad:


The next day we decided to have a family picnic. We started the day with a trip to Hollenbeck's to pick up some cider and donuts. Check out the cider-making operation:


And it got pumped right out into our waiting jugs:


Back at home, Molly the dog helped with picnic set-up by looking cute:


And by pretending she knew nothing about this hole Dad found in Mom's garden:


And the picnic begins! Joseph and Maggie chill as they watch a fierce game of cornhole:


And for those of you snickering at the term "cornhole", for your information, this is what it looks like: (check out my awesome form!)


Aunt Eunice, Dad and Grandpa May check on the burgers:


Of course a picnic wouldn't be any fun without a bonfire at the end:


And I played with the exposure on my camera and the full moon:



I had such a wonderful time this past weekend. A huge thank you to Mom and Dad, who were so much fun to hang with and who just showered me with love and fun. Home sweet home indeed.

1 comment:

Mona Zenhom said...

That looks like so much fun!