Tuesday, October 21, 2008

On crappy mornings and afternoon beers

On my agenda this morning: a lady doctor appointment and a rabies shot. Ugh.

It was just one of those mornings. I woke up too late, ran into the shower and out the door with slightly damp hair. The dog wouldn't pee, so I fretted as I dashed out the door that he would go in his crate when I was gone. I didn't have time to eat or get any tea before my appointment with the lady doctor, so I spent my time in stirrups with a pounding headache and a grumbling stomach. As if the lady doctor wasn't fun enough...

After I was done at the lady doctor's I grabbed some tea and a pumpkin scone from Starbuck's and headed to the ER for my rabies shot. The tea was awesome (must remember not to take a sip of hot tea before they take my temperature-- I got a very concerned look from the triage nurse before they figured out why I actually had a temperature of 105 degrees...) but the scone was a powdery, gritty mess. Ugh. Naturally the ER was packed and I waited a very long time for the rabies shot, but I am getting used to this. Only two more to go.

I left Center City with a pounding headache, a sore arm and a shitty mood. But I couldn't help but notice that it was actually a gorgeous fall day. I couldn't let my morning get me down. I called Amanda, who was hard at work (after having risen from bed at 1pm) cooking a delicious fall cabbage soup. She agreed that we needed to take a walk and enjoy the weather. I grabbed my faithful canine companion (who hadn't peed in the crate, glorygloryhallelujah) and we trotted off into the bright day, hoping for a cure for the headache and the mood. (The arm I decided to ignore)

Naturally we came upon the best way to enjoy a beautiful day free of responsibilities:



Beers outside! Here Amanda protects her suds from the gusty leaf-laden winds.

I love eating and drinking outside-- it's one of my favorite things about summer. I'm always the first person in the spring shivering at the table and the last one in the fall trying to keep my butt from freezing. It's worth it to me, though-- one of life's simple pleasures.

Sitting at our table, talking and reconnecting and shooting the shit, I found myself finally relaxing. I'm so lucky to have such supportive, funny friends. And we had many visitors-- Rachel called Amanda to say that she drove by and saw us, Melanie rode her bike by on the way to work and stopped to say hello, and just as we were paying our check and getting ready to leave, Sara Nye walked by. The three of us ended up walking home together and after Amanda sent me home with a bowl of cabbage soup, I realized that both my headache and my bad mood had vanished completely.

It just goes to show you that no matter how your day starts, with friends like the ones I am blessed with, everything can turn around and be just wonderful.

No comments: