Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Local Theater Feature...


I've been thinking a lot lately about the theater business in this weird and wacky economy. Of course any not-for-profit arts organization is going to be hit hard by this downturn, but the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that those of us in the arts community really need to band together and support each other.

Theater is more than just my job, it's my life and it's my world. I've never seriously wanted to do anything else. When times are tough, when things are going badly at work, I fantasize about quitting the business and becoming a chef or a photographer or a writer or whatever profession seems equally glamorous and less stressful than theater. But seriously considering other career options sends me into a panic. Something about theater fulfills me and makes me who I am. The thought of leaving this world provokes questions like "But I won't get to be a part of opening nights!" "But how could I work with people who don't understand theater?" "But how will I get that magical feeling when a production comes together and becomes something amazing?"

I'm sure other professions have those magical moments. But I really don't want to find out. I'm quite happy being a theater person, even in this economy, even when it's really hard, even when I hate everything about a particular production. (Note: I'm not referring to my current production, Forbidden Broadway. It's an awesome show and the cast is amazing. I'm having a great summer. Come and see it!)

Now theater artists are often under-paid, and therefore notoriously cheap. It's not a character flaw necessarily, but a survival tactic. So whenever we open a new show, I'm usually flooded with requests from fellow actors, technicians and designers for me to get them comp (free) tickets to the show.

With all due respect and much love to my fellow poor artists, I think it's time we all take some responsibility and start paying to see theater. Sure, you think to yourself: I work in theater, why should I pay for it? Because it's a tough economic time and our industry needs your support. Because paying for theater lets everyone involved in that production know that you support them. Because your ticket money will help to insure that the theater company will go on to produce more great shows. Because when you're working on a show, you want people to support you too. Because most theater companies know theater artists are poor and often offer discounts or industry nights or standby or day-of tickets.

All that being said, I would like to present you with an excellent company to support: 11th Hour Theatre Company. Now I don't work for them and I never have worked for them, but I've seen a bunch of their excellent productions and am good friends with the people who run the company.

They're currently producing Avenue X, an A Capella musical set in the 60's dealing with race, friendship and a healthy heaping of do-wop music. I'm going on industry night. Hope to see you there!

Until then, check out this hilarious advertisement for the show:



And if you're not in Philly, I encourage you to find a local theater company to support. Theater makes the world a better place, and I think you'll find it makes you a better person as well.

No comments: