Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Catching Up

It's been a hectic couple of days, but they were filled with such cool things that I don't mind having left you, my dear readers, hanging for a little.

I officially opened Janet 2.0 on Sunday night at the Painted Bride Art Center, which is a totally awesome venue. It was my first time there, and if you haven't been, I totally recommend checking it out. Our opening went.... well, it went. It certainly wasn't the disaster it could have been, but with the show before us running late, us having to cut our tech short without a full run-through and some nerves on the part of the performers, we were a little shaky. But we opened, and overcame all of our snafus to wow the audience into a standing ovation. Our closing performance is tonight, after which I will hop on my bicycle and quickly throw on my party clothes to attend the opening night party of State Fair at the Walnut Street Theatre. Whew!



And I would like to officially declare the 2008 Philadelphia Fringe Festival as the year of Sara Nye. Monday night Deb and I attended her third Fringe show, Chick.

Like everything Sara was in this year, this show was fantastic. It was funny and absurd and very "Fringe"-- and Sara's performance took it from mere performance art to something wonderfully engaging. I can't fully describe it in a way that would do the piece justice, but let me just say that I applaud Sara for smearing fried chicken all over her face and body and still being so engaging and (dare I say it?) sexy. The show took place in someone's private painting studio, and was completely sold out by the time we got there. We were able to buy standing tickets and even though the room was small and not air conditioned, we remained totally engaged through the whole performance.

Afterwards we took Sara out to drinks and later to the Oregon Diner to celebrate the end of her exhausting Fringe run. Thanks for so much wonderful entertainment, Sara!

I'm looking forward to this weekend, when I will travel to my old stomping grounds in New York City to meet up with my graduating class of stage managers. I miss all of my old friends-- it's going to be so great to catch up!

No comments: