Thursday, September 11, 2008

Deja Vu All Over Again

I don't know what's wrong with the people in my neighborhood.

Last night coming home from the opening of State Fair, Deb and I were again threatened by a drunk asshole. He slung racial slurs and called us dykes. Again.

It was totally, and I mean TOTALLY out of the blue. We had just left our cab behind and were finishing a quiet and pleasant conversation outside of our apartment door as we fumbled for keys. An older man walked by, and slurred something to me along the lines of "Heyyoulookpretty. Whatsthebigoccasion? Is HE (referring of course to Deb) bothering you?"

We tried to ignore him, but he continued to try and engage us, even dragging Barack Obama into the conversation. In the end he slung racial slurs at both Deb and Obama, and referred to us angrily as "dykes".

I just can't stand this shit. What the hell gave him the impression that he needed to speak to either of us? Who the fuck does he think he is?

And, yet again, no neighbors came to our assistance. That, I think, makes me the most angry.

Citizens of 2nd Street, it's time to step up and be good neighbors to those in need. It's time to leave your racist, homophobic attitudes at home. Sit in your nasty clubhouses and bitch about niggers and queers and dykes all you want. But keep your fucking mouthes shut around us. I'm sick of it.

And mostly, I'm terrified that this violence towards Deb and myself is repeating and escalating. I fear for our safety.

On a somewhat related note, I found this article in this week's Philadelphia Weekly very timely. My sympathies to Mr. Nestor and Ms. Chongolola.



I guess I will just conclude by saying my South Philly peeps, and you know who you are, let's commit to changing our area's attitudes about race and sexuality. It really is good to know that I have such wonderful friends so close.

No comments: