Monday, September 22, 2008

Walking Tour

Walking around the city yesterday in the beautiful fall weather was an amateur photographer's heaven. Here are some of my favorite shots from my city of Brotherly Love.

I started my walk in Pennsport, where patriotism and the mortage crisis are in sharp focus:


"This park is my soul!" said the crazy homeless dude the other day. Riiiiight. This park is where my dog poos every morning. Almost the same thing.


Church on Moyamensing:


I love the old houses in Society Hill.


Apartment complex, 2nd & Walnut


Old City walkway, unchanged for 300 years.


Willy Penn keeps an eye on his city.


I became increasingly fascinated by signage in my walk-- this is a sign from The Continental restaurant.


Save Economy


I love all of the little pieces of art you can find in the streets of Philadelphia. This is from a horse watering trough, 1869.


Looking up at the skeleton of Ben Franklin's house.


Smoke shop


Straight, and to the point.


More street art, of a more modern kind.


The sky was absolutely amazing yesterday.


Bell sculpture outside the African American Museum.


Skyline on Arch Street just south of Chinatown.


Chinatown. I treated myself to some Bubble Tea and some of the amazing pineapple coconut pastries that you can only get from Chinese bakeries.


This is my favorite house in Philadelphia, on Bainbridge between 7th & 8th. The combination of the industrial fixtures and the riotous greenery make me very happy every time I happen to walk by.


Sometimes you find art in the wildest places... like someone's front door.


Portion of a mural, some little side street in Queen's Village.


Clock tower, 7th & Fitzwater. Another building I love.


More street art:


I think this may be my favorite piece of signage:


Welcome to Pennsport. And to the street that I call home.


The Mummers Museum. How pretty.


More signage on 2 Street.


Yesterday was so much fun. It's amazing how well you get to know a city through the lens of a camera. I'm definitely planning to take these long rambling walks more often.

1 comment:

Regina said...

I'll go on the long rambling walks with you. And not in that 'i like long walks on the beach' kinda way.