Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Winter Wonder Woes



It's official-- we had our first snow flurries today. I was sitting in rehearsal, my head in the script, when my phone buzzed with a text message from Deb: "Snow." I looked out the window and sure enough, flurries were swirling by.

As much as I hate winter, snow flurries make me feel all warm and cozy. Especially watching them from a big window like the one we have in the rehearsal hall. I think it's pretty ironic that I had to get a text message to actually look up and see them, but hey, at least I can say I was really focused on my work.

And speaking of work, tomorrow we move from the rehearsal room into the theater to start our tech week. This is going to be an intensive tech-- we have a lot of elements that we have to bring together. Fortunately we've almost done it before-- last year's production of Greater Tuna gave us a nice blueprint to base our costume, lighting, sound and set choreography. Because that's what tech is to me: choreography. The assembly of so many different elements into one cohesive piece of art.

Yesterday was my last day off for more than a week and a half. Normally I get every Monday off, but because of the Thanksgiving holiday, we're working this coming Monday and taking Thursday (Thanksgiving) off. Ugh.

But on the bright side, I had an awesome day off yesterday. Deb took me on a very romantic date to... drumroll please... Red Lobster. Oh yeah, that's right.

Believe it or not, I had never ever been to a Red Lobster before! I was expecting a truly trashy experience, but we actually had a lovely dinner. I mean, it certainly didn't compare to Maine seafood. But cold beer, lobster, drawn butter, warm biscuits... who could turn their nose up at that???

After dinner we went to see the new Bond movie, Quantom of Solace. We went to the King of Prussia mall for this, as the crappy theater near us is often an adventure, and not necessarily in a good way. But at King of Prussia we can enjoy stadium seating, suburban parking lots and no crying babies at late night shows.

All together, my day off prepared me quite nicely for a long week ahead. I'm actually really looking forward to teching this show.

In not-so-exciting news, we finally broke down and took Hyde to the vet today to deal with his diarrhea. She prescribed Hyde special (read: expensive) food, so keep your fingers crossed that this works out.

Also, our deadbeat landlord is refusing to fix our busted heat. We pay an exorbitant amount of money in heating bills, and yet our apartment is FREEZING. Right now I have the heat turned up to 75 degrees. The thermostat is reading 55 degrees, and has been for several hours now. And I've had the oven on, cooking some of my world famous beef and barley stew! Deb is calling PGW tomorrow to see if there's anything they can do. Or at least to report our landlord. Currently I'm heavily layered and shivering next to a space heater. This sucks!!!

Anyway. I'll stop whining now. I've got my girl, my pup, some yummy soup and an interesting week of work ahead of me. Things are gonna work out just fine.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

have a great tech. i'll be thinking of you and the guys!

mandamck said...

I had so much fun Sunday. You and Deb were just what the doctor ordered. Good luck in tech this week killa and I'll see you on the other side. We'll have a beer before I am in a percocet induced haze for multiple days following surgery and unable to imbibe :)

Anonymous said...

Do you guys know any lawyers? You should have one just write him a letter to get the heater fixed, not to sue just to scare. What a douche. If worst comes to worst AJ's mom is a legal secretary and could write him a letter.