Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Yes We Can



I voted early this morning. It was pretty exhilarating, but at the same time a truly South Philly experience. I walked by one polling place that had McCain/Palin signs inside (which is illegal) and my own polling place had someone inside handing out fliers for the Democratic ticket (also illegal!). I waited behind the long line of little old ladies, each one confused about how this new-fangled voting machine worked. Thankfully the poll workers were very helpful. Maybe it was because they knew all of the little old ladies by first name. Maybe it was because they were all little old ladies themselves. They even served refreshments right by where you signed your name! Very funny.

Currently Barack Obama is leading in the polls, but I refuse to get my hopes up, especially considering the fact that the last two Democratic candidates for president actually won the popular vote but somehow we still ended up with a half-witted cowboy in the White House. We'll see. I'm having some friends over tonight to watch the results come in, as Deb is hard at work on the first preview of Hairspray. I can't be alone with the television tonight. Watching the Phillies win the World Series alone sucked. I hope to celebrate a second victory with my friends.

I think I might wear my Phillies T-shirt, for luck. I've got champagne cooling in the fridge. Either we'll celebrate noisily or drink our sorrows away.

Go Obama. Go Obama. Go Obama.


On a totally unrelated note, today was our first day of rehearsal for A Tuna Christmas. It was so wonderful to see John and Ben and Madi again. The moment they stepped onto the "stage" we'd taped out on the rehearsal room floor, it was like going home. I saw my old friends Didi and Bertha and Arles and Thurston again. It's going to be so great to spend Christmas in Tuna. And it was so great to get back into rehearsals, back into the swing of things.


Go Obama. Go Obama. Go Obama.

No comments: